Quick Post

Really Sensative Skin?

Really Sensative Skin?
  • So cowboy has ungodly sensitive skin, like the slightest bug bite makes him swell up, and he always has dry skin, and he's constantly getting some type of dry flakey skin or bacterial infections. I don't bathe him very often and I'm keeping him in a stall to avoid his wet pasture, when I do wash him I make sure it's nothing that will irritate him, so does anyone have any other tips? Right between his front legs is flaking off gray dead skin, it doesn't seem to bother him at all. It makes me think contact dermititus (or however its spelled.) but theres nothing he could be getting into, and it happens every few months. It also looks like rubs between his legs, but its not? I don't know its confusing. I've washed him with antibaterical shampoo so maybe it'll help.
    He's an appendix but he takes more to the TB side. His coat never gets real thick even in winter, he gets fuzzy but nothing linked the other horses.

I'll post pics later.
  • We have a couple paints that have the same issue between the front legs and then the bugs, especially gnats, get in that area and make it worse. We use SWAT which helps a lot.
  • Wonder if that is a paint thing?  Our paint has flybite dermatitis and the bugs really bug him too..... Jewel, my warmblood filly has a bald strip from her belly button to her girth area, have been treating it for a fungus as it seems to be spreading but after 4 different fungal remedies, I think I'll treat it for gnats too....... I'm going to use tea tree oil as that is pretty stinky and works for skin conditions.
  • What has a vet sound about the skin issue, did they say "sensitive skin"?
    I have used tea tree oil for some of the issues you are describing and had great luck with it.  Also a little oil in the grain works wonders.
    I believe it is a "pink skin" thing that makes some horses more sensitive than others.
  • [quote=TanyaC97]

What has a vet sound about the skin issue, did they say "sensitive skin"?
    I have used tea tree oil for some of the issues you are describing and had great luck with it.  Also a little oil in the grain works wonders.
    I believe it is a "pink skin" thing that makes some horses more sensitive than others.

Yeah the vet said he's just got really thin sensitive skin and he's prone to swelling up and getting fungal and bacterial infections.

He's a Paint/Quarter horse (upon further inspection of papers and about 5 hours of research) Its hard to explain but the thoroughbred thing came from his Dams side because most of her blood is from thoroughbred. But anyway he's a solid paint with a star, snip, two hind socks, and a front left (ithink) coronet band.
  • Does your horse sweat excessively when worked? Also, where the flakey bits of skin are, are there any small scabby bits or sores?