Quick Post

How to get my horse to eat his salt:

How to get my horse to eat his salt:
  • Hi everyone! This is my first post and I was hoping that some you of out there could help me. I have a 20 yr. old Appy who is full of vigor. But last month he had two bouts with colic. We got him going again and he is back up to his old self. The vet told me that he needs to eat more salt and thus increase his water intake. Chief has never been a salt block horse, so I have added it to his feed. However, he doesn't like it and knows when it's in the feed. I guess my question is, does anybody else have problems with getting their horse to eat salt and if so, any tricks on how to make him take it. Thanks in advance for any advice.
  • I don't know what you feed, but if you are cooking and add too much salt, sugar will help take the salty taste away.  Maybe mix the salt with syrup or molasses?

Welcome to the forum!
  • I started using salt last summer - mine don't seem to mind it.  I soak their feed down good, though so it all mushes together.  Maybe salt water sprayed on hay? 

I love Appy's. [':)']  Welcome, by the way!!!  
  • Hi! Thanks for the welcomes ':)'
    I will try adding more molasses to Chief's feed and also getting it wetter. He like molasses. He was on a sweet feed grain, but since last month I have switched him over to Equine Senior from Puriana. So he gets like half and half. Also, do you guys use the Sand Clear product at all?
  • What kind of feed?
    I would mix the salt in with a couple handfuls of sweet feed and then slowly reduce the sweet feed until it is just salt your adding? I went through the same thing with one of my horses. Give them salt blocks in the stalls and add loose salt to their feed. Most important is lots and lots of 
    fresh clean water in clean troughs. 
  • I run silica through them every summer (usually) but we don't have a lot of sand here.  You can get the Walmart equivilant of Metamucil and it's the same thing as the equine products, just cheaper.  Wait.  Let me guess... he won't eat that either. [':D'

Pictures anytime, by the way. [':)']
  • [size="2"]LOL No, he actually eats the sand clear with no problem. The trouble starts when he doesn't eat the salt. I am going to add more molasses and see how that works. Thanks again[':D']
    [/size]
  • I started adding liquid molasses to Chief's feed on Monday and he is eating all his feed and salt too! Thanks to you all for the trick and tips. We are have a heat wave here in Michigan, so I feel better knowing my horse is getting what the vet said was very important to keep him from getting colic again. [':)']
  • GOOD job!!!  bravo!  [':)']  Pictures anytime there, Dolphin!  (I was trying to call you Sunfish... had to go back and figure out your name) [':D']   Why Dolphin?  You swim with them?  You can make noises like one? LOL   
  • I am having trouble uploading pictures. I'm still trying though ':)'
    I used the name Dolphin just because I love them! Not that I don't love horses just as much, it's just a habit with me that's all. No, I can't make noises like them, but I would love to swim with them if I could.
  • Ok I got my pic to upload. Just I needed to make it smaller :0
    This is my Chief!
    Well I have to head out and do some cleaning before the 90's hit today. Talk to you all later!
  • Hi,

I would think that if he won't eat salt, then he's getting enough & doesn't need more. I would provide it free choice in another bucket, rather than mixing it with feed. I would not mix it with molasses, because then he's getting extra sugar as well as extra salt.

Of course, if the vet has told you he needs it, then he may, but i'd want to look into it further before trying to force it into him. Why did he colic? What's his diet & management like?
  • Thanks for the advice wundahoss, but Chief is not a salt eater, never has been. The vet said he needed the salt to make him increase his water consumption. I only mix his salt/electrolite combo about 2 oz. once a day (the vets instructions) and I only add about 2 tablespoons of the liquid molasses. So far, it has worked, Chief is eating his salt and grain and is drinking more water.
     The vet said he got colic because he wasn't drinking enough water and that is what bound him up. He gets the best of care from me, that is a given.
     I just bought a salt/electrolite brand  called pro-lyte.The instructions say to feed 1 oz daily as a top dress, so maybe in the furture I won't need to add any molasses at all. But for now, so long as Chief is doing good, I'm happy![':)']

Thanks to all of you for helping me with this problem, if I ever have need for more help, I'll be sure to ask all of you! Thanks again!!!!!![';)'][':)']