Quick Post

Cozmo got kicked in the muscle!!!!

Cozmo got kicked in the muscle!!!!
  • Ok so went trail riding Friday night with a friend of mine at the lake; I was riding Cozmo. (for any of you who don't know who Cozmo is, I have other posts that will inform you) Tied the horses up to the horse trailer fed them, had super, put up our portable pannels, put the two horses in, put a tub of water in with them and went to bed. Next morning Cozmo had a 2 inch deep cut from my friends mare on his front elbow. It was beeding a bit, you could see where the muscle had been punchured from my friend's mare's horseshoe. It had swollen up quite a bit and Cozmo wasn't walking on it at all! Took us an hour and a half to get him in the trailer. Called my vet, told him what happened and he told me to meet him at his office and he would look it over. He did an x-ray, bone was not broken or fractured  but Cozmo's muscle was torn. He gave him 11ml of penicillin G; he said it was already infected and to continue with the penicillin G for 1 week twice a day, then drop it down to once a day for a addiditional week then that should clear the infection. He cleaned up the wound, but did not stitch it because he said since it has infection it needs to be able to drain?? I recieved some muscle cream sorta like icy hot (im not at the barn to tell you the exact name of it) for his stiff muscles around the wound and then some aintiseptic cream from the actual wound that helps fight and draw out infection, keeps flies away ect. He told me, once Cozmo was home, to restrict his motion as much as possible because if he starts feeling a bit better, he can rip the muscle even more by walking around on it. He would be out in two weeks to check on him and give an update.
    Its now been 4 days and his swelling has went down a little bit, its draining like crazy, I have been pouring hot water over the wound twice a day and cleaning it, then putting the ainticeptic cream on it and the muscle cream over his stiff muscles and giving him the penicillin G twice a day at 7am and again at 7pm and rotating where I give his shot so its not always in the same place. He looks so much in pain, and I feel bad about this happening to him. Anything else I can do for him?
  • Poor Cozmo.   My heart goes out to the two of you.  You are doing what your Vet said to do and as long as that works, I would say, stick with it.  With confinement like he has, I would go easy on the high energy grain, it should make him more willing to stay quietly in his stall.  

I would keep track of his temperature.  If it should get too high, the Vet needs to know.  Drainage is good.  Since I hate to give shots, I usually ask for the pills, crush them and mix them with syrup and put them with a small amount of grain.

He is a lucky boy to have you in his life.  You got him good care ASAP and are doing the best you can for him. &nbsp';P'raying for a successful recovery.
  • Thanks Connie, and yes I actually thought about switching him to the pill form of Penicillin because even though he is an excellent at getting doctored, I know them shots must be makin him sore. Ill lay off the sweet feed part of his feeding to help keep him calm. Best part of it all is my friend, is pitching in with the vet bill and medicine since her horse is the one who kicked him. Weird it happened, her mare wasn't in season and is actually the horse that everyone complaments on at how great she does with other horses and Cozmo usually just ignores other horses and does his own thing. Must of been one of them moody days for her I guess, sad that Cozmo had to be the one who was in the wrong place at the wrong time. My vet actually called me awhile ago and wanted to know how things was going as I had to pen poor Coz up in his barn (I don't have stalls just a paddock). More room then a stall but thats all I could think to do for now was cut it in half and put him in the barn area. Gunner, my other gelding will lay his head over the fence at Cozmo for hours at a time, just watching him and sorta like letting him know he is there. Like he knows he needs to comfort him.