Quick Post

Let's talk about ration balancers!

Let's talk about ration balancers!
  • Since I can't pull up Peggy Sue's old posts on RB's anymore I thought I'd start a new thread on them and maybe she will chime in (or anyone else who is in the know on them).  I have a newly laminitic pony who is currently on Blue Seal Carb Guard (was on TC low starch prior to laminitis). He only gets 1/4 c. am & pm...just enough to deliver his supplements (Mag Ox, LaminaSaver, joint, and ThyroL).   Since his diet is predominately hay (soaked), I am thinking he needs a ration balancer?  He is not IR (just tested) but is hypothryoid.   In my area we are limited to Blue Seal, Triple Crown, Purina and Buckeye products.  Any input would be helpful!
  • OH boy it is early in the morning here

How big is your pony ??

A ration balancer shoudl be about perfect what do you want to know??

I will find my RB post on another forum and bring it all here for you ... saves me alot of typing
  • I lost my Saddlebred last year to colic after doing the Cushings/IR game; broke my heart.

I wanted to share this site that has some interesting info that may be of value. I AM NOT ENDORSING THIS PRODUCT - I HAVE NOT USED IT NOR DISCUSSED IT WITH A VET. That said, the info was interesting: http://www.equinemedsurg.com/index.html I'd love to know if anyone has first hand experience with it.
  • According to the NRC - most hays & pasture have enough protein even for lactating mares - so more than plenty for ponies.  Why not just a general vitamin/mineral supplement for horses?  That is what I use for my haflingers when they are on just hay during the winter.  They do really good on it and since they only need 3 oz per day - a big bag of it lasts a long time and doesn't give them unnecessary protein.  Ration balancers are usually over 30% protein.
  • The pony is 13.2.  Good point JC.  Vit/mineral supp or ration balancer?  I think this question is for Peggy Sue!  What is the actual difference between the two (excluding the protein)?

I am not worried about excess protein at the moment as his hay is soaked longer than the recommended hour so I am sure that protein and minerals are getting pulled out along with the fructan (I am mainly concerned about reducing his NSC% intake but I will need to add back what is coming out in the hay, no?).  He is currenly on dry lot and will remain there for at least another few weeks.  At that point, he will go back on pasture but in a grazing muzzle.  After first cutting of this years hay, I will have hay analysis done to see what is lacking but until then I want to make sure the little guy is getting what he needs.
  • ration balancers are designed to balance the forage type... where as most vitamin/mineral supplements are more expensive and do not contain balanced levels of what is need in required amounts...

without testing the hay it is hard to say... IF you have a good horse vet that KNOWS nutrition talk to them get the label and ask them about it ...

the problem with hays is the while the protien test there it is not in a usable form normally...

if you have ONE hay supplier test your hay ... then we all can have fun trying to convert it ...

• Thanks for the input all.  We do buy from only one hay grower so no problem there.  First cutting won't be available for a few weeks but then I will get it done (and get every cutting tested I guess).
  • If you can find it in your area, i HIGHLY suggest a Progressive Nutrition Ration Balancer. their website is prognutrition.com It can be hard to find, and on the expensive side, but you feed very little, and it is very high quality with everything you need to balance out any kind of diet.
  • [quote=cheeriofreak]

If you can find it in your area, i HIGHLY suggest a Progressive Nutrition Ration Balancer. their website is prognutrition.com It can be hard to find, and on the expensive side, but you feed very little, and it is very high quality with everything you need to balance out any kind of diet.

Progressive make several ration balancer one for Grass(pro Advantage Grass Formula), on for alfalfa (Pro Advantage Alfalfa formula), they have a super one out called Ultra something as well as a higher fat one as well ':)'

You really don't NEED to test every batch of hay although it is ideal.. Equianalytic is very resonable for it

• Ponies have very basic needs.  I don't think I'd add anything but hay and maybe a good multivitamin, and whatever else has been prescribed for his laminitus issues.   Ration balancers may be too much for ponies.   Particularly if she doesn't need to gain any weight.

I say that because I've been through a very rough patch with my pony lately, she was on Enrich 32 and orchard grass, and went into renal failure from some as yet unknown cause.  Whether it was the cause of her problem or not, the ration balancer would have killed her if I kept feeding it.  She just didn't need anything that rich.  Small quantity or not.  All the excess proteins and minerals they eat have to be processed by the kidneys and have to increase wear and tear on sensitive systems like ponies and older horses.

She's doing much better now, but my older horse, and my pony, will not be getting anything that concentrated again.
  • Sorry about your pony and I'm glad she's doing better.  My herd is on Growstrong Ultra Fiber and they do well.  I have older and younger, large and pony.  I was concerned and was going to compare my feed with Enrich 32 but I see that Enrich 32 is listed as a supplement.  I don't feed mine supplements except mineral blocks.  They just have the UltraFiber, BOSS and all they can eat hay.  They're getting some good grazing in now, too.  UltraFiber is by Moorman but ADM bought them.
  • It IS a supplement, but it is also a feed.  It's fed at a rate of 1-2 pounds a day for a horse.  The only real difference between a ration balancer and a good multivitamin is a lot of additional protein in the RB.  (And more sugars, even if in small amounts)

Unless there's a good reason to greatly increase the protein on this pony right now, I'm not sure there's a benefit in it.
  • Oh - and thanks!

It has been quite the saga, learning a lot as we go.  She is doing better now, and I think she'll pull through this.  But a month ago, that was far from certain.  Pic taken yesterday [':)']

Well, I guess 'pic taken yesterday' won't show up.  Ah well.   You'll have to take my word for it.  Unless you know where to look for it over there.

• My feed only has 13% protein as opposed to 32%.  ADM has a GroStrong supplement but I use the GroStrong Ultra Fiber + BOSS.  Zag's my easy keeper and he's a fatty - needs riding.  Dani's pretty easy, too.  Bully's the challenge and I really have to keep a round for him all the time now cuz pasture just isn't cutting it for him.  But the theory (if you can get the ADM website to come up) is that  horses are built for forage, not all the NSC's that come with some feeds.  So I try to feed all the hay they can eat and very little feed at all.  I'm very happy with the results, though the first couple of days were harrowing as the water weight and fat fell off of them.  Scared me!  Now they are leaner with more muscle.  I'm looking forward to riding Zag again!  Tally-ho!