Quick Post

Kicked Just Above Hock...

Kicked Just Above Hock...
  • So out at my friends barn 6 horses cornered Cowboy in the barn. I guess they were due for a, 'Coming To God' conference. Well Cowboy sure ended up on his knees. Even his best buddy turned on him. They all bit the crap out of him,and he was kicked a few times,nothing too bad. But then Shadad *his best horsey pal* kicked the heck out of him. Jim,the barn owner,saw it happen but he couldn't do anything to stop it,they had him in a spot too dangerous for him to try and break it  all up. When they finally backed off after a good 10 minutes of beating on him he limped out of the barn on his own. After a bit he straightened up and walked like semi-normal. Then I rushed over to make sure he was ok. He has a spot right on the tendon above his hock,shoe shaped and its pretty tender. He seemed ok after 3 days so I got on him for about 15 minutes and did no more than a slow canter. But when I cooled him out and took him in the barn,I noticed him favoring that leg. I touched it and he picked it up very quickly,while he was eating he kept weight off of it. I'm a little bit paranoid right now,I know nothing his cut,severed,or broken. But he just came back from being down *an extremely huge hunk of meat missing in the cannon bone,right hind leg*. I don't know if he is being a baby about since he's been down on that leg before,or if he's really hurt. I'm going to call the vet tomorrow. Any thoughts? I've taken a cold hose to it,and iced it. Tomorrow I'm giving him some asprin and doing the same.
  • Good girl, cold hosing is your best friend.  I can tell you I would've grabbed a dang two by four and started wailing on horse arses!  And yelling at the top of my lungs.  I can't even believe poor Cowboy's misfortune.  I'm so sorry for that mess, girl!  I'm glad he's not dead and I hope he heals quickly.  wow
  • Taking a garden hose and spraying them with water probably would have stopped them.

Question, why are so many horses allowed to roam in a barn where they could corner a horse?
  • Taking a garden hose and spraying them with water probably would have stopped them. Question, why are so many horses allowed to roam in a barn where they could corner a horse?

Really good advice and question.  
  • Its not my barn,not my choice. I wasn't told that the gate would be left open,infact I said I didn't want there to be a place for that to happen,but like I said,not my barn,not my choice. But if it hadn't have been the barn they could have run him through a fence,or worse. I can't control everything,you can't control everything. Yes,I was mad,and yes,I went off. But I CANNOT fix stupid on somebody else's part. Right now he's on stall rest,alone.

So can we please just got back to the question? Guys I'm upset right now and I have alot to deal with,trust me,I don't need to be told how stupid I was,I already know.
  • [quote=face]

Taking a garden hose and spraying them with water probably would have stopped them.

Which is what I told Jim,but I WAS NOT there and he's not the sharpest knife in the drawer.
  • [quote=DixieClassic003]

Its not my barn,not my choice. I wasn't told that the gate would be left open,infact I said I didn't want there to be a place for that to happen,but like I said,not my barn,not my choice. But if it hadn't have been the barn they could have run him through a fence,or worse. I can't control everything,you can't control everything. Yes,I was mad,and yes,I went off. But I CANNOT fix stupid on somebody else's part. Right now he's on stall rest,alone.

So can we please just got back to the question? Guys I'm upset right now and I have alot to deal with,trust me,I don't need to be told how stupid I was,I already know.

You ARE NOT the STUPID one here. 
  • Keep updating us Dixie, okay?  I want to know he's okay.  Poor old man. [':(']

If'n it's not one thing, it's a'tother.
  • Hydro, hydro, hydro. The more you do it the better.

I never stall an injured horse unless directed by a Vet. If they can't be turned out with the rest they get rotated out by themselves or turned out in a secure place. They need to move around to heal.
    All stalls are secured here during turnout so horses cannot get back in once they are out.

• [quote=face]

[quote=DixieClassic003]

Its not my barn,not my choice. I wasn't told that the gate would be left open,infact I said I didn't want there to be a place for that to happen,but like I said,not my barn,not my choice. But if it hadn't have been the barn they could have run him through a fence,or worse. I can't control everything,you can't control everything. Yes,I was mad,and yes,I went off. But I CANNOT fix stupid on somebody else's part. Right now he's on stall rest,alone.

You ARE NOT the STUPID one here. 

How so?

• Thanks guys,he's doing soooo much better. I think on these hot days he enjoys the cold hose.
    He's still sore but he's cantering around the pasture and playing with the other horses.

I only kept him in the stall for during the day,one because the barn is cool when its 98 degrees outside and WAY too humid,and two just making sure it didn't swell up or get hot or anything. After that he was free to run around. He's been out of the stall for a few days.
    The vet said to do what I've been doing and he should be fine,poor guy can't stay out of trouble.
  • Sounds good! 

btw, how will you get to FL?  Plane, train or automobile?