Quick Post

getting trailer checked.

getting trailer checked.
  • I haven't used my trailer in a year. Does anyone know where you would take it to get it checked out. Make sure it is safe. What would go bad. What should I look for to see if it is safe or not safe???
  • We have a couple local trailer/RV repair places that can check wiring, brakes, tires, some things like that.  You should also make sure the floor is still sound, nothing sharp sticking out.
  • You didn't tell us much about the trailer. So I don't know if it's a fairly new trailer that you don't use often or if it's an ancient trailer that was in rough shape before it sat for a year.

If it was a trailer in good shape that has sat for a year, I would check the air pressure in all tires, (including the spare) make sure the lug nuts are tight, and that you have a jack, or some device to drive up on to lift a tire if you get a flat and that you have a proper lug wrench in the trailer in case you need to change a flat.

I would hook up and make sure all the lights work. While hooked up I would engage the brakes and see if you can skid the tires indicating that the brakes actually work.

Make sure the trailer jack and the ball coupler all work.

On older trailers, I jump hard on the floor and make sure that it's still strong enough to support a horse.

• I agree with Painted horse.  If there is a trailer sales place not too far call and ask if they can do an inspection for you, usually doesn't cost too much.  If you check it yourself make sure you check all the tires for dry rot (cracks along the sides) as this can cause a blow out too.  In addition to jumping on the floor, you can crawl up under the trailer and take a look at the underside of the boards.  If there are some bad spots you'll know it by touching around on the wood.  If its a steel trailer check where it might have been leaking because that might cause some of the wall panels to get rotted and become a danger.  (I have to replace those next year)
  • Thank you!

Sorry, I forgot. I bought it brand new in 2000. It's a steel bonanza 2 horse bumper pull. I haven't had to get new tires yet. The last year I haven't used it. Would like to get it looked at before using it again. Didn't know for sure were you get that done. it's in good shape for an older trailer from what I can tell
  • Will you be driving to NY?  [':)']
    I haven't gotten too far reading so.....
  • unfortunatly I haven't heard anything yet! But I'd like it to be safe and ready to go just in case!!![';)']
  • keep an eye on that floor, Luv!  If you have a steel floor, it rusts.  If there's wood it rots.  So, no matter what the composition, check it regularly.  Don't use your fist, use a large (as in small sledge) hammer on that floor.  If it goes through, your horse would too.[';)']

LOL, I really have to get my tyres replaced.  They're Phillips 66 Highway somethingorothers.  Ancient, positively ancient!  Wouldn't be surprised if they're the originals and the trailer is a '58 Miley (blush)!  All the same, it hasn't seen a horse in years.  We've been using it for sheep and goats.  Still... I think new tyres are in order.[';)']
  • I was surprised to find that the welding on my Circle J trailer wasn't good when I had someone check it out.  Had the entire floor replaced with really good wood and they welded extra supports on the floor where my draft goes.  Feel so much better knowing it's a good floor.  Had to replace all the tires when I bought it at 10 yrs. old because the sun out here fries everything.  Hope yours checks out OK.
  • One of my friend wants to buy a trailer which of the things we should look out to buy a good trailer.
    ==========================
    Earl Nunes
  • [quote=earln7]

One of my friend wants to buy a trailer which of the things we should look out to buy a good trailer.
    ==========================
    Earl Nunes

The floor, rust, and the tyres.  There's nothing quite like leaving for the show with an encloased trailer and arriving at the show with a convertable.  I can't describe the horrors of a bad floor... (shudder) 

The tyres can be an issue as they are usually neglected.  Also, in a used trailer, the brakes are often neglected as well.  So keep an eye on those.  If you can, pull a wheel and drum.

When looking at a high-end trailer, such as a Stidham, check around all that fancy trim.  Trim is a rust colony on a horse trailer.  I swear, anything made for horses gets the most shoddy paint job imaginable.  Hence, rust is an issue for trailers.  It's sad really... but there you have it.  Thoroughly examine the tack box or room for rust in the seams and floors.  Do the same with the roof, walls, mangers, doors, ramps, and rims of the tyres.  Don't forget to look at the underneath.  Those steel supports can get quite hoary over the years.  The new aluminum trailers seem to hold up much better than the old steel ones.  My old Miley actually has an aluminium skin over a steel structure.  Hence, the skin is suffering from the electrolytic reaction of incompatible metals, another thing to look for. 

Just because a trailer looks nice on the outside, doesn't gaurantee that it's sound elsewhere.  Look it over thoroughly.  Don't be shy about pulling out mats, insisting on bedding removal, and looking over every inch of the vehicle.  After all, your horses are going to ride in this thing for miles without you seeing what's going on back there.[';)']

• Thanks, studeclunker for explaining me to buy a trailer and that's really enough me buy a good trailer, thanks once again.
    God Bless.
    =========================
    Earl Nunes