Quick Post

Trailer Makeover Thread

Trailer Makeover Thread
  • Well, we lost our old thread with the old forum so I thought I would go there again.  This is a 95 Titan Classic 3h slant gooseneck with rear tack I bought used.  Interior has a 48" short wall, 96" long/slant wall.  It was a trade in and the folks who had it before had finished off the inside and removed most of it when they decided to buy a new model.  I had bare metal and partially torn out walls, insulation and paneling - a closet with the door removed, a shelving cabinet with all the shelves removed, cabinets ripped out and pieces of wood with exposed nails, leaking windows and rotten wood around them.  BUT it had potential.  The trailer did have an operating A/C unit, was wired for electric inside, even an installed TV antenna (not much good now with dig tv I guess but hey, maybe can convert?) very little rust and the horse area was pretty darn good with just some minor damage to the padding on the slant panels and kick panels.  The separate rear tack, and interior of the horse area were well lighted, drop down windows were perfect and the dealer installed all brand new electric brake system the day we picked it up.

First I installed new insulation, walls, antique brass tin wall panels on the short wall, tooled leather pattern wallpaper on the slant wall, steps with storage to the bunk/gooseneck.

Now I am installing red oak cabinets with a chocolate "marble" laminet countertop and stainless steel sink along the slant wall, a naugahyde padded wagon wheel backed bench along the short wall and matching red oak cabinets in the bed/gooseneck area.  There will be a "saloon" door on the closet and I think one on the front of the open shelving cabinet.  All cabinets have been built, stained and are ready for installation.  The bench is in progress and actually designed more like a chaise withe the padded back at the slant wall corner/end rather than the long way along the short wall - that's where the 1/2 wagon wheel will be mounted.  A smaller version of a half wagon wheel will be mounted along the top/back of the counter top behind the sink.

The pictures attached first are the BEFORE when I brought it home
  • The system will not let me upload more than one photo per post so here is another BEFORE
  • After "short wall" - at least so far.  Wagon wheel chaise/bench will be installed along this wall
  • Slant wall as of last week, cabinets and countertop are in but not complete right now (pix soon)
  • You've got a job ahead of you but we redid an old gooseneck so it feels good to accomplish something like that instead of buying new.[':D']
  • Good job on makeover.We bought 2005 Sundowner  2 horse with 4 ft shtwll and 8 ft longwall.Plan on putting somethings in it but gonna sale big trailer first.Congrats on remodel work love metal wall.What all ya planning on doing/adding in?
  • Well I've got a set of 32" high red oak cabinets/cupboards finished and installed along the slant wall now, the counter top is cut to size but I haven't cut the hole for the stainless steel sink yet - a chocolate marble laminet will be added, the the sink goes in that last.  A 16" half wagon wheel will be installed on the wall behind the sink flush with the counter top.

The chaise/bench on the short wall is about 1/4 done - I have been working over the weekend on it and have the frame done for the bottom as well as the padded backrest for the end along the slant wall - a 32" half wagon wheel will be installed as a seat back - flush with the bench along the short wall side.  The seat and padded backrest are both a deep chocolate naugahyde material - easy to clean and looks like leather to match the rest of the interior.  One layer of the window valances are made from this material already so it kind of pulls the whole look together.  I also have milk chocolate colored tooled leather fabric used on the valances which will also used to make a couple of small throw pillows to put on the bench/chaise.  There will the same milk chocolate colored fringe along the bottom edge/skirt of the chaise/bench.

I finished off a set of red oak "saloon" doors to put over the exposed closet and shelving area left by the previous owners.  Those will be installed last as the open closet and shelve space are both odd sized so standard door sets won't fit - I'll have to add in a strip of finished wood to narrow the openings on both of those areas so the saloon doors fit correctly.

I also have a 32" long x 15" high set of red oak cabinets I finished off to install in the bed area/gooseneck on the door side wall and simple shelf to put at the very front end of the bed area/gooseneck - nice to have a spot for the alarm clock and to put the watch, and little things for the night.  Lighting had already been added to the gooseneck area and one ceiling light in the main area.  A lamp was added to the main area as well.

I installed a microwave last year and little 4 cup Mr. Coffee, which go on the top of the open shelving area - (soon to have a saloon door) - electric is already wired so I can plug in to an existing source, use my nice quiet little Honda gennie or when hooked to the vehicle I have 12v for lights.  I don't plan to install a cook stove at this time since I have the microwave and a very nice little Webber Q Grill - if it's too nasty outside to grill - it's too nasty to horse camp PERIOD.  I have a porta-potty I bring along and a Hot Water Now stainless steel unit for my shower - it runs on a small propane cylander and you pump it up to presurize rather than having to hook up to electric or battery - Works very slick, uses little space and I can enjoy a nice hot shower!  Potty and shower are both brought into the back of the trailer to use once we get to the ride.  I have a portable corral system I bring along where it's allowed and picket line the horses when I can't use the corral.  I think one I'm done with the inside, I'll be really set for nice, relaxing horse camping without having to rough it too much.  I go to ride someplace fun, not to prove how much I can "rough it" 

So it's pouring rain today and I'm working myself up to go out and try to finish some of these things off - I have to move the horse trailer next door to our farm/quonset building starting Tuesday as we are getting ready to go "just people" camping with our big 5th wheel - only room in the driveway for one big rig at a time.  It's hard to work on those things so easily when you have to run back and forth 1/8 mile for the needed tools or supplies you didn't figure on.

• Progress!!!  We got the cabinets and countertop in along with the sink but water not hooked up yet.  The couch/chaise is completed.  We decided to skip the wagon wheel back on the couch and mounted it just as you walk in the door.  The smaller one was mounted on the wall behind the sink as planned. 
  • Couch/Chaise