Quick Post

Mare about to foal Help.. Weird behavior!!!!

Mare about to foal Help.. Weird behavior!!!!
  • Hello,

My friends mare is about to foal within a few days.
    She has lost all interest in grain and hay she only wants pasture.

She has very full udders and her belly has sagged.

Any help in appreciated is it normal for her to lose intrest in feed and hay?????  I have never had a mare do this???

Thanks,

John
  • hey, it's me ... the mare he's talking about is mine and she foaled around 6am and something pulled the filly through a barbed wire fence and killed her... i'm sooo sad... RIP A Tryst of Fate.
  • Sorry, for the loss.

Coyotes maybe?  They are pretty brazen around here.  Will challenge large dogs for their food.  My neighbor once took a broom stick to fend five off because they were after her collie.  Any more I lock the cats in the garage at night.
  • Oh no!  I am so sorry for your loss.  That would be a terrible thing to find.
  • Very sorry for your loss.  How is the mare doing with losing her foal?
  • [font="verdana"]Yesterday, she didn't want to eat that much. she just wanted to be out in the pasture with her buddy. He is 2 1/2 yr old gelding, they were together before and the he got sent to the trainer and now they're bac together. She has taken to him very much and i think it's her motherly insticts kicking it because he's still just a baby himself. Today, we didn't want to leave with out Skeeter (the gelding). She would only eat if he was around. if he would walk away, she's be right behind him. She was acting colicy with sucky gut sounds and irregular bm's. but today she's eating more and it seems like everything is getting back on track. she going to be on bed rest for a couple weeks so that i'm sure she'll be other it and on her way back to getting normal and after that, it's only light riders for her throughout the winter. i might ride her occasionally just to help her back muscles build up again. I will keep you guys updated on her condition. Thanks guys

-Sucker4Spots
    [/font]
  • This what the baby looked like.
  • That poor baby never stood a chance being born in late October(depending where you live) & with barbed wire for baby fencing. What a shame
  • [quote=Natisha]

That poor baby never stood a chance being born in late October(depending where you live) & with barbed wire for baby fencing. What a shame

I think this was an oops baby, if it's the same mare.  But BARBED WIRE?
  • Yeah, one can plainly see the barbed wire marks all over it. I think that fence killed that baby. If something came into the birthing area & killed it, it would have dragged it under the fence not through it.  Also the mare would have not just stood there & let that happen.  That baby's only few minutes of life were hell. Opps baby or not they knew it was coming & had planty of time to prepare.  They chose not to.
    Barbed wire & horses don't mix, especially when that horse is a newborn trying to find its legs.  This was a stupid needless death.
  • [quote=Natisha]

Yeah, one can plainly see the barbed wire marks all over it. I think that fence killed that baby. If something came into the birthing area & killed it, it would have dragged it under the fence not through it.  Also the mare would have not just stood there & let that happen.  That baby's only few minutes of life were hell. Opps baby or not they knew it was coming & had planty of time to prepare.  They chose not to.
    Barbed wire & horses don't mix, especially when that horse is a newborn trying to find its legs.  This was a stupid needless death.

If the mare had the baby next to the fence or even over it, it would have lead to tragedy.

Barbed wire is dangerous, particularly for pregnant mares...but we raised a few babies that were born in a large fenced property, with a creek at the bottom, rocky, lots of trees. All  those mares had their babies under the same juniper, which was sort of funny.

If dogs or coyotes pulled the baby through you'd know it because it would be torn up, and not just by the wire. If the mare had the baby on or near the fence, it could have staggered into the wire when it stood up, and thus the tragedy.
  • Either way we cannot condem the owner because we were not there and do not know the entire situation. It is a very sad thing to lose a baby in that way and we should all be supportive.
  • No, I'm not for comdemning the owner, especially since it wasnt even the owner who posted the event.

Just commenting on barbed wire fences. It's fine and dandy to bemoan the danger of them, but they are still the most common fencing where I am, where thousands of miles are fenced. Not practical to use fiberglass fencing for that.
  • barbed wire is  a bad idea. however I am wondering why no one was near when the mare foaled? I know that at the barn where I board there is always some on foal watch when a mare is about to drop. in case something goes wrong.
  • How terrible that the foal died, I'm really sorry for Sucker for Spots.  I can't tell from what she&nbsp';p'osted if the death could have been prevented if there was a different type of fencing instead of barbed wire.  Maybe so, but maybe not.     

Unfortunately there are lots of people who keep horses in barbed wire and just don't understand how unsafe it is.  Growing up around the panhandle of Oklahoma I can tell you my grandpa kept all his horses in pastures fenced with barbed wire as do most of his neighbors and ranchers in that area.  I'm not saying it's right, just that I didn't know any better until I starting owning horses for myself.  Lots of ranchers keep horses just fine in barbed wire without injuries and don't think twice about it.  So let's try to educate the horse owners on this board instead of condemning them and judging so harshly.