Quick Post

Mare about to foal Help.. Weird behavior!!!!

Mare about to foal Help.. Weird behavior!!!!
  • we have several horses and we put up barbless wire and it seems to be doing fine keeping them in and cattle out. i think its about the same as the barbed but with less injury for you putting it up and for the horses. we also have a foal due in april and mom and i already told the hubbys that we won't be in the house that night cause we will be in the barn with her 1 to experience it and to make sure nothing goes wrong with the vets # on speed dial!!
    i'm sad for your loss but i do think she should of been put some where safe for birthing.
  • All my family that has horses have them in barbed wire... My mare is in barbed wire and was born there... if a horse runs into a fence once they wont do it again... there was no wrong doing here... how can you change what you can't control...?
  • [quote=quarterhorse105]
    ... if a horse runs into a fence once they wont do it again...
    Especially if they're cut to ribbons and have to be put down!
    I think if you have your herd in several acres or more, barbed wire isn't as bad of a risk but it's still dangerous.  My horse farm neighbors have  the electric poly-coat stuff and they only had 4 strands.  One baby was injured bad, lost an eye, nearly got rejected by his mom.... they put another strand up and haven't had another problem.  Their babies are normally in their 6' chain link fenced yard for the first several weeks. 
    Natisha...[';)']