Quick Post

Feeding Underweight Pregnant Pony Mare

Feeding Underweight Pregnant Pony Mare
  • I am purchasing a underweight pony mare. She is 16 years old, about 12 hands palomino. Picking her up tomorrow. I need feeding advice. Her owner had her just on hay, so she lost a lot of weight. A horse trader bought traded some other horse for the little mare. I contacted him about her. His plans were to take her in her baby to auction. I decided I wanted to give her a shot.

I have very little experience with breeding. Have had 2 other foals and everything went well but their moms were in our care from beginning.

Anyway she is pretty underweight. What is the best route to go has for has feeding goes? She will have unlimited good quality coastal hay, mineral block. Trying to figure out what kind of grain ect. Any advice on her feeding would be greatly appreciated!
  • [quote=emnhorserider]

I am purchasing a underweight pony mare. She is 16 years old, about 12 hands palomino. Picking her up tomorrow. I need feeding advice. Her owner had her just on hay, so she lost a lot of weight. A horse trader bought traded some other horse for the little mare. I contacted him about her. His plans were to take her in her baby to auction. I decided I wanted to give her a shot.

I have very little experience with breeding. Have had 2 other foals and everything went well but their moms were in our care from beginning.

Anyway she is pretty underweight. What is the best route to go has for has feeding goes? She will have unlimited good quality coastal hay, mineral block. Trying to figure out what kind of grain ect. Any advice on her feeding would be greatly appreciated!

Unlimited hay will actually be the best thing for her right now.  I would also get her on more than just a mineral - try to find a good horse vitamin supplement (General ones include Vita Plus, sho-glo, etc or you can even better use one specific to lactating mares like Mare Plus).  Hay tends to lose some fat-soluable vitamins during drying and a pregnant mare may need more than what is left in it.  However, since she is a pony you really should avoid things that are high protein and high sugar.  Both can be harmful to a pony. 

If this was my mare I would have her on unlimited hay and a couple pounds of soaked beet pulp with the supplements added to the beet pulp.  Keep it simple.

Edited to add: Great job on giving this little pony a 2nd chance at life!
  • I took some pictures of the little mare. Boy was I shocked when she got off the trailer. Skin and bones.
  • Wow, I don't think I've ever seen such a skinny pony!  Poor little dear thing.  She really looks like she could be gorgeous though if she gets back up to weight.

I would contact my vet and ask what the best way to get her in the best shape possible would be.  Alfalfa has been shown to put on weight the fastest in a study of a bunch of starving horses but since she's a pony she really shouldn't have it.......  I agree with Shiver that good grass hay 24/7 will help but she does need some supplements and fat in her diet.  You should have the vet out anyways to find out how far along she is and what shots and such she needs at this point.

Bless you for taking her in.  She looks like she'll be worth your effort.  What's her name?
  • Yes I agree with full access to grass hay. I have seen a lot of skinny horses( Animal Cops Huston is my favorite show! [':)']&nbsp';)' But never one that skinny who was pergnent.... my jaw dropped when I saw how skinny she was. Well best of luck and Bless you for taking her in.
    Liz
  • I agree with Dana. A vet should be called and consulted. I would also think she is full of parasites and should be wormed. But I have NO experience with prego mares and you should consult with a vet for the best advise. 

I'm not sure if giving a lot of Alfalfa is a good idea unless she has already been on it. It is high in protein plus with an underweight horse you do have to be careful how much is given so she doesn't founder. I would agree that free choice costal would be the best choice. I highly doubt that this mare has been getting free choice hay up to now. If you know for a fact that she has then something else is wrong. She should not look so poorly if she has had access to hay. I also agree with the mineral info that Jungle-cat gave you. But again talk with your vet.

Good for you taking on this little pony. Her poor little nose shows that she has been used harshly. I hope that things go OK for her and the foal. Good luck and please keep us updated.
  • Probiotics is a gentle way of jump starting her digestive system so she gets the most out of the food that you DO give her.  You can't really give her too much of the stuff - it's like us eating yogurt.
    Broken A has some great experience.  I think calf manna worked well for her - not positive.  Also Hoyt the bowhunter [';)'] has some experience, I believe...  And I wanna say Broken A got her advice from Gunslinger.  We need those folks!
  • Thanks for all the advice! and comments! Talk to the vet. Wanted to get teeth check, but she cant have work done till after she foals. I have her some supplements such as probiotics, mare plus. Small amount of 14% Safechoice morning, night. Free-choice coastal and on a pasture that has some grass but its not seeding. She got eased into this but that is where she is at now. She is starting to fill out some. Back bone isn't as pronounced ect. She is acting better too. Seems to have more energy. Really pleasant little mare too, comes right up for attention. Would it be good to start adding alfalfa to this diet or would that be too much?

I will be keeping yall posted! with pictures!
  • I bet you're pretty excited about having a baby on the way!!!  [':)']