Quick Post

And what is this...?

And what is this...?
  • A new arrival 15 days early!  Sire: Sierra Blazen (sorrel)  Dam: Impressive Nu Pearl (perlino).  Have never had a foal this color before.  My first thought was smoky black, but wait...he has barring on the legs, black dorsal strip, dark over the shoulders, hazel eyes and a dark mask over the bridge of his nose.  Pearl's (the dam) sire is a buckskin dun, so she must carry the dun gene.  Sometimes with double dilutes, it is hard to see markings.  So visitors have guessed that if he isn't a smoky black, he might be...a silver grulla or....a smoky grulla.  Only testing will tell for sure! 

Here are some pics taken when he was an hour old and two days old.  The dam was being protective, so had to snap them fast, so they are not that good. 
  • Wow!!!!  He is beautiful!!!!!  Until testing is done, I would go with the silver grulla.  Enjoy him, mom needs to share!!!!!
    Mary
  • Well, I'll be durn.  Look at that gorgeous little fella. [':)']
    You're getting some good ones this season, aren't you?  Something grulla, I'd say, but only cuz Dani's grulla and understand it.  Really, grullo for a boy, right?
  • Lots of babies are born with primitive markings - even leg barring - and never actually have the dun gene.  They'll lose the primitive markings when they shed the foal coat.  Looking at him - my bet is on smokey black. 
  • Too cute whatever color you call him.
  • Of all the foals ever born on the ranch, the only other babies that have had primative markings have been the Fjords.   It would be a kick if he is indeed a grulla.  Never had one of those or a smoky black either.  I was expecting a palomino, like her last foal when bred to my sorrel stallion, or a buckskin. 
  • Smokey black or Gruilla, he's beautiful.  Congrats!  I'm so envious.  I love playing with foals.  So much energy and everything is facinating and new! 

Please keep us posted on him?
  • So far the vote is for the smoky grulla color!  He is doing well for being an early baby.

As we are getting winter weather again (snow, hail, freezing temps), both of my foals are snug in their blankies in big foaling stalls with their mothers.  Hard to believe, but the palomino Quarab will be a month old tomorrow.  As soon as the weather permitts, he will be turned out in pasture with his dam during the day. 

One more foal to go!  Due May 21st.  Hope she holds off until this weather system gets out of here.  This one will be a palomino 100% for sure!  Just hope it is a filly!
  • He's gorgeous.  His coloring looks exactly like a grulla I used to own.  One of my favorite colors.  Makes for a stunning dressage horse in formal attire!

Did you name your other foal?