Quick Post

Lookin at bredding my mare. suggestions?

Lookin at bredding my mare. suggestions?
  • I have a 1998 Appendix QH maiden mare i would like to breed. She is race horse bred top and bottom. I eventually want to breed her to an All Around Stud. My mother thinks i should breed her to a miniature or shetland first. She wants a driving pony for herself for one thing and she also feels like it will be easier on my mare considering she is maiden.
    Does this sound like a good idea? It makes sense to my mother and me. What is everyone's opinions on the matter?
  • I think if your mother is after a driving pony it would be a lot smarter to buy a small pony and use that rather than breeding your QH with a Shetland.

You have to think worst case scenarios, if you aren't able to keep the foal forever, what sort of market is there for a grade pony who was only bred for size?

There are so many horse/foals/ponies running through auctions for under $500, and you have to think about the pros and cons of purchasing a horse rather than breeding for a mix breed.

Just an example -
    Buying a horse
    - You can handpick size, temperament, colour, age, gender, suitability, soundness and conformation
    - Basic "startup" cost (so to speak) is purchase price, vet exam, possibly transportation

Breeding
    - You can only predict to an extent the foal's conformation/temperament etc, it's mostly a lottery. Breeding two completely different breeds opens up a wider field of possibilities.
    - Costs: stud fees, mare care, vet exams (ultrasound etc), emergency vet calls and then at the end of it there's a chance you'll end up with a dead mare/foal or both.

Not trying to be negative but these are definitely things that should weigh on your mind. IMO, buying a pony for driving would definitely be the better choice rather then creating another grade pony.

• I have to agree with lifeofriley.  There are so many ponies going for dirt cheap right now that it would be foolish to breed your own grade horse.  You don't even have to go to an auction to find low priced horses, look at craigslist or the classified ads of your local paper.
  • Thanks. I have been looking for the "right" pony for my mom. I agree with both of you. There is no point in breeding if your gonna get a grade horse out of it. If i breed her, i would rather get a horse that i could sell if i needed to.