Quick Post

Affording

Affording
  • Hi. How do you afford to keep horse riding?
    Thanks
    From Georgia
  • Work.

• What one can afford or not is a relative issue.  That is to say, one can afford what they are willing to work, save, and sacrifice for.  

This much I can tell you for sure and certain; it costs considerably more to keep horses here in the People's Republic of California than it does in Georgia!  The only reason I can keep horses is because I work for one friend and another gives me living space in return for maintaining his house whilst he drives a cross-country truck.

If you are having trouble coming up with the wherewithal to keep horses, then you might think of how it might be possible to partner with someone else to do so.  For instance, three days a week I work here at the Walkingbear and the owner pays me a small stipend whilst also paying all the expenses for my horse.  Otherwise I wouldn't be able to do this.  Sometimes sweat-equity will work.  In this case it helps out me AND the owner of the Walkingbear as she couldn't keep ahead of this place otherwise.  People ask me what I do and I tell them, "Farm Hand, horse-Trainer, and Caretaker."  Pays very little money, but the return is incalculable otherwise.