Quick Post

does any one feed alf h

does any one feed alf h
  • ay or alf orchard mix
  • I'm not sure what you mean by 'ay', still I do feed Alfalfa/Orchard when my horse is being worked hard.  One of my mares had to have it as she would lose weight without.  It's not a premium hay for horses as the 'mix' in it is wrong.  Also some horses, Arabs for instance, can get really terrible stones from it.  Hence, I would never feed it to an Arab.  Also, Al-fah-fal-fah is twice as likely to founder a Mini than any other hay.  Hence, it's a hay that one has to be careful with.  Not only with feeding, with handling as well.  If it gets wet and moulds, Alfalfa can be deadly.  Grass hay has much fewer dangers and pitfalls.

• 'ay' looks like the rest of the word she began in the title: hay.

What a great answer, Stude.

I can only add this: The horses I got from a rescue in Wisconsin were only fed alfalfa and it was a great hay up there. Where I lived in Mississippi, if you could even FIND it in bales it would be very poor hay. It just wasn't a good crop down there. Alfalfa cubes were the only way to get decent quality and it was a lot of trouble to soak it when good bales of  other hay was plentiful. If I had no hay supply you bet I'd turn to alfalfa cubes!