Quick Post

Cleaning Blankets

Cleaning Blankets
  • Does anyone know a good way that cleans mud and other junk out of a horse blanket.  I have tried everything and i cant seem to clean it.  it stinks horribly.  it is nylon material.  if you want any more information about it just ask.  I think the mud is packed hard into the blanket.
  • One good thing to do during the time the horse is wearing the blanket (mine usually has one or another on all winter) is to use a stiff brush and brush the dried mud off it from time to time. To wash them, I lay the blanket on my driveway and spray the outer side with Simple Green, then brush it (not hard), and then hose it off really well. Then I turn it over and hose off the inside. I don't use the Simple Green in there. I hang it over the fence (no horses around) to drain the excess water off then wash it in my front load washing machine. I've used Tide HE liquid with Febreze to wash them but want to try NikWax blanket wash.
  • I hang mine over a gate and hose them off on the outside and then put them in my old wringer washer (it actually has no wringer)and let them agitate and soak with Tide.  I let the water out, when they are drained enough to lift (wet blankets are heavy) I drape them over the gate again and rinse with the hose.  Then they drip dry.

If your horse doesn't mind, it is more efficient to hose them off when they are on the horse.
  • I agree about hosing them on the horse. My horse and my washer are about 6 miles apart, though, and I don't want to haul drippy, stinky, wet blankets inside my vehicle. Hence using the driveway or a fence. [':)']
  • I'm not sure where you live if you have this option - but here in California if we are having a warm day I will spray blankets with the house and hang them to dry in the sun.

Or, you can bring them to the laundry mat. I usually do this when it starts to stay warm and I won't need to blanket her again. After I wash them at the laundry mat though, I water proof the outside again.

• We power wash the worst of it off, then wash in cold water .  We have a wash machine in the barn that is used just for barn laundry.   Might have  to hand scrub a stubborn place.  Hang  out to dry...never put in dryer.  Then I do any needed repairs and reapply waterproofing if needed.