Quick Post

Tis the Season for TICKS

Tis the Season for TICKS
  • They are back!

I encourage you to check your horses good for ticks. Around here, SC, they can be bad. The trouble is, the ticks like soft skin naked skin. Which means between back legs, around anus, vulva, and nipples. Ticks can cause significant swelling in these areas.

We have found that rubbing SWAT in these areas (as in where the ticks go) is a great preventive measure.
  • Our ticks are still frozen here!  LOL!  But thanks for the reminder that we all need to watch for the little buggers!
  • So glad here in So Cal, we don't have a problem w/ ticks on horses, just one the dogs!  We've been really lucky w/ no ticks or fleas for years.  As long as we don't have a lawn, we're good!
  • When I lived in Riverside I would spread Diazanon when fertilizing in the spring.  No ticks, no fleas.

Littlebit, don't kid yourself.  They're out there.  I live in No. Cal. too and the dogs still come in from time to time with ticks.  Then again, if you live in Yreka, Trinity Center or some like high-elevation place, they may very well be frozen solid, LOL!  Especially after last Sunday!

Gosh, ticks on horses.  I've never had to deal with that.  Not even fleas.  The dogs, yes, but never with the horses or any other livestock.  Our goats and sheep range freely and have not displayed any trouble with them either.  This makes me glad, LOL, that I didn't move to Carolina after all![';)'][':D']
  • With the ticks focusing on the area between the back legs you really have to get down there and inspect as they tend to be way up in the creases. Luckily, the horses that get them don't mind me messing around and pulling the ticks off. Last year I was real concerned with our 3 year old as he nis one of the Tick Magnets, but he stands there very nicely during the removal process. Maybe they realize we are making their lives better!
  • With the ticks focusing on the area between the back legs you really have to get down there and inspect as they tend to be way up in the creases. Luckily, the horses that get them don't mind me messing around and pulling the ticks off. Last year I was real concerned with our 3 year old as he is one of the Tick Magnets, but he stands there very nicely during the removal process. Maybe they realize we are making their lives better!

Last year we were giving them all 3 ounces of vinegar with dinner which we have not started yet. One of the horses that had a bad tick problem this week rarely got them last year, so perhaps the vinegar really helps!
  • Studeclunker- I didn't say we didn't have them-I just said ours are still frozen!  LOL! 
  • tick-sickles!  Ewwwwww![:'(]
  • [quote=studeclunker]

tick-sickles!  Ewwwwww![:'(]

Speaking of tick-sickles....... Has anyone seen or used this???????

http://www.horse.com/item/arctick/E001443/

• I hate ticks!  I use spot on on my horses and it works great.