Quick Post

FLYS! help please

FLYS! help please
  • We have a bad bad bad problem with Horse flies. Do you have any homemade remedies or traps, or any items that are not too expensive that really work? We have tried everything from bronco to endure to duragaurd, you name it. Maybe I'm over sensative, but seing them being eat up by those flies kills me.
  • The best fly sprays for our area this season seem to be ZONK, Tri-Tech and UltraShield.  I've tried feeding tons of garlic, fly predators and haven't had much success.  I'm using those fly traps that you put water in and that seems to be drawing the flies away from the horses, being very vigilant about manure pick up.  I've heard that you can sprinkle diatomacious earth on the manure and it deters the flies and destroys the larvae.  Goodluck!
  • I too want to adopt a fly plan, I read this article and found it helpful...

http://www.horsekeeping.com/horse_management/fly_control.htm
  • Bronco (the fly spray) always works 4 me, on horses or around the stables.[':)']
  • Good article, LinaeW!  I've got to go get some lime!  My fly traps are working great although disgusting!!
  • half avon's skin so soft and half water. More skin so soft if you want it stronger. It keeps mosquitoes down too. Just watch to make sure the horse does'nt brake out from it.
  • This link is good!  I've been feeding powered garlic for several months now (1 coffee scoop per horse per day), using the large glass fly traps and mixing up the recipe below.  (And crossing my fingers.)  We used fly predators the last 2 years but  it's not enough to do only one thing.

U.S. Forest Service Bug Spray Recipe

1 cup water
    1 cup Avon Skin So Soft Bath Oil
    2 cups vinegar
    1 tbs. Eucalyptus oil (found in health food stores)
    Optional: few tablespoons of citronella oil.

Shake spray bottle well before spraying on horse, human or dog!
  • I started feeding my girls some DE to help with the flies,  a donkey buddy of mine does the same for her herd, it helps ':)'

(DE=diatomacious earth - FOOD/Medical grade ONLY!!!!!)