Quick Post

How about a game of guess the name?

How about a game of guess the name?
  • Nope.  LOL, rumble seats are an automotive thing.  No, the back seat folds up, that's quite correct.  However it's the way the seat folds away that the carriage is named for.  This kind of door would be unpleasant to come across in a bad-guy's lair.
  • I would love to go back to the "horse and buggy days" .  Wouldn't work around here unless everyone did it as these mountain roads would not support both cars and horse and buggys.  People drive too fast, would come around a curve and not see the horse/buggy, and an accident would happen.  With the price of gas, wouldn't it be wonderful not to have to go to the gas station! 

• Ah, I've been asked this question a number of times.  My answer is an adamant 'NO'!  The cruelty and abuse that occured in that period would be just too painful to observe first hand.  However, it would be nice to see our state make roads more friendly to traffic other than automobiles.  There are numerous Bicyclists killed here in Trinity county several times a year.  I've been unpleasantly surprised on blind curves by a neighbor's child on horseback numerous times.  Thank God I drive slowly!

So, nice as it would be to drive my horses as I once did everywhere... I'd much rather see the roads improved to allow a greater freedom of movement to vehicles other than motorized.  Good luck, I know...   Especially since the state is dead-broke.

"[size=1]With the price of gas, wouldn't it be wonderful not to have to go to the gas station!" 
    [/size]

Yeah, I'd like that.  In fact, that might be possible around here as we do have a very few alternate roads to the main ones.  Problem is, one has to eventually re-enter traffic at some point.   Not to mention the circituous route they require.  Then again... our paved roads aren't exactly straight and true either.  I think they were following the deer trails.

• With the price of gas, wouldn't it be wonderful not to have to go to the gas station!

I'd be so nice to ride to work... I figure Reidar can stay back in the impound lot during the day... or there's a nice grazzy field out back he'd probably be okay hobbled there too... Don't think it'd go over too well with the Sheriff though.
  • [quote=samsara]

With the price of gas, wouldn't it be wonderful not to have to go to the gas station!

I'd be so nice to ride to work... I figure Reidar can stay back in the impound lot during the day... or there's a nice grazzy field out back he'd probably be okay hobbled there too... Don't think it'd go over too well with the Sheriff though.

You might be surprised.  Just use the approach that Reidar is assisting with weed control.

Okay, since no one got it, the carriage was a Trap.  As in a trap-door seat.  The seat bottom would flip upside-down and the seat back would also fold down presenting a smooth deck behind the driver's seat.  When needed, passengers could sit facing forward or back.  Traps were one of the most popular vehicles produced.  Very popular for going to town for the weekly shopping, or out on a picnic jaunt.

• Thank you for telling us.  BTW, I did find that there are seats called "rumble tumble" seats for horse drawn carriages.  I, however, bow to your superior knowledge in these matters.

Methinks you enjoy picnics.  You have referenced them often.  I went on a horseback picnic once.  The picnic was fun.  My horse decided to wander off and I had quite a hike when I went to retrieve him.   Still, I was young and it was fun.

• Gee Connie, half the fun of driving is carrying that picnic basket in the back.   I will admit though, sometimes my wife would just about go crazy because I never wanted to stop.  LOL, just love driving, I guess...

Speaking of picnics, which of the vehicles here is the best picnic, indeed designed for it, carriage?  Bet you'll never guess, betcha, betcha, betcha!  
  • [font="ms sans serif"]"The first picture is called a Roof-Seat-Break (not brake).  These vehicles started out as what we currently call Skeleton Breaks way back when, and were used to break in green horses.  Later, some aristocrats discovered how high the driver was, and they decided it would make a great Portable grand-stand.  So, one of the more popular uses for a Roof-Seat-Break was to use it at the Races, like Ascot.  They're also set up as a picnic wagon.  There are doors in the sides and rear that open on places to keep baskets for lunch, chairs, tables, iced wine and drinks, etc... "

[/font]
    not fair, I answered your quiz with your answer.
  • LOL, you caught me!   Yeah, it's the break.
  • Okay, here's one that is usually a two-wheeler.  It's an English vehicle that's designed to be for fun, and is actually named after a type of get-together.  Also, there is often a mistake made in the naming of this vehicle.  People often state the name correctly and the type incorrectly.  That is to say (a little give away here) they say, 'Carriage or Cart,' instead of Car.  The carriage pictured is for sale at Hunter's Creek Farm in North Carolina.

• I confess, I had to look it up.  At least I am learning more about horse drawn conveyances.  I will give someone else a chance to "Rally to the challenge" and tell what it is.
  • I'm not too very sure how much of that was a play on words, but you almost nailed it, Connie.
  • Oh! Oh!  Rally Car?  Did I get it? [8D] I didn't even look it up.  I've got a picture I need to get up here so you guys can tell me what it is precisely.  It's at the barn where I keep Reidar.
  • Yup, LOL, that's it!   A Rally Car was designed for fun outings.  I've seen it spelled Rallye, Ralli, and Rallie, take your pick, LOL!   It differs from the Trap, because the back seat doesn't fold up and is part of the front seat.  ie: They share the seatback and often the seat bottoms are common and fixed.  They were a very popular sporting carriage for ladies back in the day.

I almost forgot, The reason this vehicle is usually a two-wheeler, is because of taxation.  In Great Britain a vehicle was taxed on the number of wheels.  Hence they had some serious people-movers that were two wheeled.  Many examples of imaginatively avoiding paying taxes on that extra set of wheels, LOL. [font=verdana] [/font] 

Do please post the picture, Sam.  It's your turn anyway.
  • Ok, this looks like it's probably in pretty terrible condition.  The barn owner is trying to sell it.  Ignore the rest of the junk... she was getting ready for a rummage sale.