Quick Post

How do I start??

How do I start??
  • I've posted a couple of times about the new horse that I just started leasing.  She is a 14 yr old QH/Belgian cross.  Her owners got her about a year and half ago from a broker that works out of New Holland, PA and didn't want to take her to auction.  They have been using her mainly as a trail horse (she's a total puppy dog), but are interested in finding out if she can drive to liven up her days a bit.  We suspect that she was most likely an Amish work horse and may have driving experience.  I have never driven a horse in my life (closest I got was as a groom at a standardbred barn and watching driving competitions at the USET headquarters), and am an ex-hunter/jumper with a bit of dressage training.  How would I start learning how to drive?  What should we start with to see if our mare has any experience and knows what we're asking of her?  I'm completely clueless about this but would really love to learn!
  • Start by finding someone that drives horses and get some experience with them.   If you are near any amish ask some of them for help.  They usually have some that train horses in their communities.  Take the horse to one of them to drive it first.  That way you or the horse doesn't get hurt.  Worst case senerio is a driver and a horse trying to learn at the same time.  Good luck and have fun!!
  • Good advice Rod.
  • Dont forget to get yourself some lessons, too. 
  • KikisMom

How did you ever do on getting started driving?