Quick Post

Anyone want to talk Hackney Horses?

Anyone want to talk Hackney Horses?
  • Would anyone like to talk about Hackney Horses?  I love them and driving as well.  Since both go together, it's the best of all worlds for me.  Here's some photos of Anne Leck's horses:

Norfolk Lad... I'll ever remember him as the 'one that got away.'  I was so heart-broken when we couldn't bring him home.

Native Winged Foot, if you look in the encyclopaedia you will find his picture as the definition of Gorgeous![font=verdana][size=1][:D][/size][/font]

So... anyone?
  • Hmmm.... nine months without a single answer.  I would guess the answer would be no then.  Maybe I should let a few more people in on the well kept secret of this forum.

Well, here's a few pictures of my girls anyway.

The above is Condessa.  She's nineteen and about sixteen hands.  Condessa was born in Argentina and imported to Maryland about twelve or fifteen years ago By James Laird. 

This is Riverdance.  She's about seventeen years old, born also in Argentina and also imported by James Laird.

Condessa has always been a broodmare and only had some rudimentary training.  Riverdance is reputed to have been in training with four of her siblings to be used as a four-in-hand to a Park Drag.  Sadly, something happened and Mr. Laird never completed the project.  Then again, maybe that was a happy circumstance as I would have never been able to have Riverdance otherwise.
  • How neat they are!  I'll have to scrounge up a picture of my eventing gelding from Washington.  The people I bought him from were never very clear about his breeding but he was a gorgeous liver chestnut with a blaze, white stockings, an amazing blonde mane and tail, really good bone and about 16 hands ...... makes me wonder...... great jumper and had an amazing tempo when he trotted ':)'

Can't wait to see your girls in about 6 mos. when you've gotten them in shape ':)'
  • Gotten them in shape... LMAO!!     Yeah, they're really out of shape when just ten minutes of longing at a walk and trot gets them sweaty.  I mean... really ladies!   Then again, I have to remember that no matter how good they look, these two are really just two little old ladies.

• My gelding was really obese when I bought him out of a pasture in Monroe, WA but he was a beauty once we'd found the diamond in the rough ':)'  Gotta figure out how to scan pictures into my computer!
  • I have never seen a hackney in person but would like to. I like the way they look and from what I hear they are good horses.
  • Your name, Cintillate is interesting in that one of my mares is decended from Suddie Scintillation.

There is a lady in Arroyo Grande, Ca. who shows her Hackney gelding in Dressage, Carriage classes, and Combined Driving.  Roger is one... adaptable fellow... that isn't the word I want, but I'm sure you get the gist of what the he's like.  There are any number of other Hackneys out there that are just as talented. 

My two little (or not so little ) old ladies will be driving for the most part with just a little riding for the younger mare.  Now that I have River in a cart, and have a cart to put her in, She at least will be working to better condition.  I have to ask Dennis if there is a pole for this cart.  Eventually Condessa will be driving too.  And when she is, it's a lot easier to work two at once than one at a time.
  • Usually Scintillate is taken so I just go for Cintillate. ^^ Our former president's last name is Arroyo. For some reason I want to train my horses to pull carts...but don't have a cart. Plus I wouldn't know where to start. When you first started did they have a hard time keeping the same pace between the two? With my luck Sahara would be trying to gallop and Clyde would be trying to fall asleep.
  • President Arroyo?  Ah, I take it you're not in the U.S.?  Or are you referring to a society or club?  Got me a touch confused there.

Yeah, driving your horses as a pair might be a challenge.  You would be constantly holding one back and nagging the other to keep up.  I've had a pair like that and it isn't pleasant.  Either of them might be fun as a single horse though.  Besides, one would be hard put to find a cart for two horses and there are pit-falls involved with such a vehicle.  Also, harness, carriage, and associated equipment is far less expensive for one horse than two.

Whichever of your horses is heavier built could pull the larger vehicle, carry more passengers, etc... Thus, this horse would be a better candidate for driving.  I would suspect that horse might be Clyde?  They usually are the quieter ones, usually, though not always.

If you're considering Driving, I would strongly recommend getting some books covering the subject.  Here's a list of a few:

On The Box Seat -- Tom Ryder
    Breaking And Training The Driving Horse -- Doris Ganton
    A Guide To Driving Horses -- Sally Walrond

These three writers are prolific and all have written several books on the subject.  Ganton and I believe Walrond have even done videos.  Ganton's video is excellent.  The above mentioned books are just for starting out.  When you have thoroughly read the book(s), I would suggest looking for a trainer or experianced carriage driver in your area.  If you can locate a Carriage driving club in your area, it would be very helpful as well.  If you are unable to locate any of these, then proceed slowly and carefully follow each step exactly as described by the authors of the books.  Never, ever. skip steps.  Skipping a step in training a horse to drive usually leads to problems, at the least, and disasters at worst.

• Sorry for got where I come from doesn't show up on the left. I'm from the Philippines. My horses are pretty much ponies but are the native horses. They are not exactly stocky, they are narrow but very very strong. What is strange is I never saw a horse pull anything here. I doubt we have a carriage driving club. Most horses end up carrying stuff on their backs. I think people are afraid of the horse kicking and not being able to train them. I was thinking of just a small cart. Clyde and Hidalgo would most likely handle that well as they aren't afraid of new things as much. Sahara is an quarab with a bit of native in her...Frisky is pure native but tiny tiny. I can barely get regular riding tack here so don't know about driving equipment. What would be the basics, maybe I could make them some how?
  • Actually, e-bay and Amazon are your best friends!   You can find most of what is needed there, though shipping should be high.  Also, I've no idea what the taxes involved (for import) might be.

As to 'tiny, tiny,' Frisky; she might just be your driving candidate.   I know of a fellow in So. California (or is he near Las Vegas...) that makes very lightweight vehicles for Mini-horses.  He would likely be willing to make you a hyper-bike (bicycle-wheeled) cart and the extremely lightweight nature of the vehicle would save a lot on transporting costs. 

As to harness; don't attempt to make up your own.  Not a good idea.  However for training purposes (ie: no cart), one can use an ordinary saddle, especially the English style.  One can run the long-lines through the stirrups and work that part of the procedure from there.  Even a blanket roller (if it has the dees on it) can be used.

All the same, before you start, get the books!     I have an internet acquaintance who is currently running a sale on her books (she has a tack and equipment e-store).  Might be able to get On The Box Seat  from her for four dollars off.

I'll check into the address for my friend's store and get some others together for you if you like.
  • Ordering is easy, getting it here. Another story. I was lucky my helmet came on time and intact but anything else...hmmm. Unless I get it through FedEx or another company it would be months late and the cost is horrible either way. Things usually triple in price but then going through customs. more so. So I don't think I would be able to afford a thing. My main goal is to get a horse hooves nippers from Amazon because I can't find any here. I end up doing everything myself. You would be surprised I am my own vet, farrier trainer, groom and rider. XD Did I miss anything? For the harness maybe I could find someone to make it. I'm not really good at making things. Frisky is 11hh. ':D' She is not a mini...she is just really small even for her breed.
  • My friend Paula grew up in San Fernando La Union.  She says they still use the native ponies around there for pulling carts.  If you know anyone who has or likes horses in La Union, you might be able to find a decent harness that way?  Just watch the quality of the leather and workmanship.  Get the best you can afford.  Things can go disastrously bad disastrously quickly when driving horses.  Another thought: do you make a trip to Manilla ocassionally?  You might look into weather there's a tack store somewhere there.  Paula says Manilla usually has things the other provinces don't.  It's worth a try anyway...

As to the books; you can order them and the shippers can send fed-ex.  There is one who has Tom Ryder's book, on the box seat for a really great price, I think around nine dollars (US),  Amazon should have Doris Ganton's books and videos for a reasonable price. 

Yes, my friend Paula said getting anything from here to the Phillipines was very difficult.  I do wish you all the best of luck.

• Okay, here's the lady you need to contact:

Claudette Robinson
    COUNTRY CARRIAGES USA
    373 Phillips Road
    Columbus NC 28722

http://us.mc458.mail.yahoo.com/mc/compose?to=carriagesUSA@windstream.net
    www.CountryCarriagesUSA.com

Claudette has been around in carriage driving for a good number of years.  If anyone can help you, she can.  It wouldn't hurt anything to contact her and see what can be done.
  • Thanks, haven't been to Manila in 8 years and not anytime soon. Yes it does have things they don't where I am. One example. Krispy Cremes. And what I wouldn't give for Dreyer's Mint Ice Cream...or any mint ice cream. >.':D' Very hectic schedules. I'll tell you if ever I progress. ':)'