Quick Post

What do you think of Arabians?

What do you think of Arabians?
  • It sure does sound like most Arabians being bred over seas are garbage. Here in the U.S, Arabians are wonderful horses with fantastic breeding. I have met and dealt with quite a few Arabs and have not met one that I haven't liked. They are a very popular breed here. I see them all the time being ridden by younger more inexperienced people. Of course any horse can have a bad disposition but Arabs seem to be more consistent when it comes to great minds. I see more "crazy" Quarter horses and Thoroughbreds here than Arabs. (I love the quarter horse and thoroughbred breeds as well) 
  • weeeeeelll......garbage is kinda tough...but somewhat right, IN MY OPINION. The problem is, people see the reports in the nice and shiny magazines and think, well, I have a mare, why not put one of those show stallions on her, and I get a show winning foal. Nobody looks at the pedigrees no more, winner x winner, must produce a winner. Sometimes it works, most of the time not. As in any breeding. Or, what's even worse, they breed for color only. Black for example. And whatever comes in a different color is being thrown out for a few Euros. Then you have the professional handlers, who get a horse to "show", but who is able to handle that horse afterwards?.
    Our problem here in Europe is that most of us have forgotten that an Arab is a horse you can ride. And along with that comes pretty heads and show movements, but also bad backs, crappy legs, strange shaped croups and difficult characters.
    This is why I like my old german bred ones so much. Their parents and grandparents had to be performance tested, alongside warmblood stallions, before they could breed. And a part of that 100 day test is also character and rideability. It's not mandatory no more now for about 10 years or so due to the Arabian studbook being a closed studbook and no Arabian can be denied the chance to breed. And now we see the results...........
  • [quote=Barbhorses]

Allie, not all Arabs are good horses no matter how much you wish that were true. Most of my horse friends grimace at the prospect of having to ride another Arab due to bad experiences. 

Again, love hot blooded horses, but Arabs just don't do it for me. My passion is for the hot Spanish horse who in my opinion is the total opposite of the Arab not only in build, but in temperament (as far as being respectful and how deeply they form bond with their riders. The breed I have is known for being a one person kind of horse) and intelligence as well. 

Well, I never said all Arabs are good horses. Has nothing to do with wishing. The point I'm getting across is that the generalization that they're crazy, weak, tiny, etc. is not accurate.

It's funny that you criticize me (and incorrectly) for thinking all Arabs are good horses...then immediately characterize them as all bad, the exact opposite of YOUR favorite horse, the Barb, which of course are universally respectful, intelligent, love their riders, etc.
  • [quote=deserthorsewoman]

Hi Allie,
    I say "Italian Arabians", because they are here in Italy, but they are purebred Arabians. They are being registered with ANICA, the Italian Purebred Arabian registry. Bloodlines come from all over the world, just like in the US, in Germany, or any other country.
    The Anglo Arabo Sardo is a whole different story, a very nice sport horse, looking good and doing a good job. Unfortunately a bit out of fashion now, everybody wants the big jumping horses from Germany and Holland.

There is another thing I noticed about the Arabians here. They don't seem to be too interested in people, act very aloof. Or are just plain neurotic.All I can say, mine are not like that, they are very interested in people, are open minded, so to speak, but also shy away from loud, obnoxious things. No, not things, people.
    I was told by a breeder, very old lady, years ago, that not everybody can have Arabians. "You need to have a hand for them, girl. If not, they can be a pain in the....", she said. I think she was right.

Now I'll have to check out ANICA!
  • [quote=dodgegirl89]

It sure does sound like most Arabians being bred over seas are garbage. Here in the U.S, Arabians are wonderful horses with fantastic breeding. I have met and dealt with quite a few Arabs and have not met one that I haven't liked. They are a very popular breed here. I see them all the time being ridden by younger more inexperienced people. Of course any horse can have a bad disposition but Arabs seem to be more consistent when it comes to great minds. I see more "crazy" Quarter horses and Thoroughbreds here than Arabs. (I love the quarter horse and thoroughbred breeds as well) 

Yeah, I don't know what's going on because what I'm hearing from those who really don't like them is the exact opposite of my experience with them to.

And don't forget...they are the ONLY breed that allows children under 18 to show stallions under saddle. That doesn't sound like a disrespectful, stupid, crazy, dangerous breed to me....and the leg thing totally baffles me. I know there have to be Arabs out there with bad legs, and there is the DSL thing or whatever that disorder is where the pasterns flex too far that crops up in many breeds....but I honestly can't think of any I've seen with bad legs. I've never even seen an Arab with a splint. I've seen very aged Arabs who were arthritic but that's a different thing. My experience with them isn't excessive, I haven't shown them, I've only owned one, but I've been around an awful lot of horses over many years. So I'll have to continue researching this.

• Allie, I was just wondering your age - just curious.  I like your posts but it helps me understand where someone is coming from.  I'm guessing 20's?  Early 30's?  Heck you might be a teenager! 
    I'm not an Arab-gal just because I love BIG horses and Stb's have won my heart. I've ridden an Arab that was a dead broke WONDERFUL lesson horse.  VERY nice gaits!!!  I have a riding friend who rides one and a friend who breeds them.  They don't seem to be any more skittish than any non-Stb horse! [':)']

I like them all-in-all.  BUT these are all USA experiences.
  • Alliebaba, you and I seem to have the same idea when it comes to Arabians. There are also a few others in this thread that truly "get" the Arabian breed. I'm sure every breed has their good horses and their bad horses. Arabs seem to be more consistent when it comes to "good" horses.

Many people in my area seem to think that Appendix QHs are great horses for children and lessons. Now that may be true but my Appendix is not suitable as an under saddle lesson horse or for children under saddle. She is great on the ground and loves kids but way too flighty under saddle for the inexperienced handler.

I only bring up my mare because Im trying to make a point. Any breed can have horses not quite typical to the breed standard. I sometimes call my mare "the crazy one" haha. She is not crazy of course but rather fast and sometimes flighty when in the wrongs hands. This right here is what a few of you are calling the Arab breed in general. Now Im sure there are Arabs out there that are "bad" or "crazy" but every breed has a few bad apples. Dont shun the Arab breed just because of your own personal experiences. My mare is the first Appendix I have ever ridden or handled. Im going to say that all Appendixes are flighty just because she is.

You all need to think outside the box before you shun a certain breed of horse.

I dont like Paso's because the way they are built. They are built that way for a reason. to make for a smoother ride with their gaits. Im not going to say that pasos are bad or ugly. they are just not my thing. they are probably wonderful horses.

Think about it before you shun an entire breed just because you have had a bad experiance. 
  • Dodgegirl, this thread asked a question. Why aren't people buying Arabs. Therefore the reasons above were posted. It isn't like someone said I love Arabs doesn't everyone else? and then people such as myself and others came on and started bashing Arabs. A question was asked and answers were given.
  • I really can't agree with that. For my money, even used Circle Y Saddles for sale are the best horse tack out there! All the styles including the flex rock.
  • Im an Arabian girl through and through!  I grew up with Arabian posters on my wall and seriously only became friends with my now best friend because her mom trains shows and some times breeds Arabians!':D'

One of the things I love the most about them is no matter what you are looking for you can find it as there are SOO many different looks in the Arabian breed!':)'  Our mares are shining examples of the differences in the breed!!

Here is my 4 year old Arabian(/x?) rescue mare:

and My husband's 15 year old 100% Arabian mare:

Sorry about the poor quality pictures of my husband's mare! (She had just been removed from a not so great situation and looks FAR better now!  and actually HAS a mane!LOL)

• A nice pair of mares.  Thank you for sharing your pictures.
  • [quote=Connie]

A nice pair of mares.  Thank you for sharing your pictures.

Thank you!':)'  We love them!  My husband's mare is listed here http://www.allbreedpedigree.com/lady+mayphair I LOVE her pedigree, although her stature isnt my favorite.  But he loves his little bulldog!LOL
  • I love Arabs and especially part-arabs.  My favourite, and best, horse was decended from Nabor through Little Joe.  He was a Polish with a bit of mongrel thrown in for fun.  

As to the Egyptian Arabs I have no use for them whatever.  They represent to me all the things wrong with modern Arab breeding.  The majority of them make good riding horses, but that flat croup makes them just useless for draft.

Just before having to disperse my horses and equipment, I acquired a pure-bred Polish mare that nearly killed her owner's mother.  She wasn't vicious, just frightened at the time.  Once paired with my gelding she calmed down and became a superb pairs horse (driving).  Pity of it all is that I never found out what happened to them.  Still wonder to this day though they'd be in their thirties by now...

My actual breed preferrence would be a Hackney horse or possibly a Friesian crossed with Arab.  Or, maybe all three together.[':D']

Here's a photo of Rocky at Coto De Caza, Ca:

On a Sunday drive along the Santa Ana River, Anaheim Ca:

• I am new to this site and forum. I can't get over the harsh, negative remarks I have been reading against the whole Arabian breed, especially Egyptian-Arabians. First, all breeds have their good and bad eggs. Second, how a horse has been handled from birth has a huge impact on his behavior. Third, I breed and raise Egyptian-Arabians and they are as sweet as pie. However, just because I breed Arabians does not mean that I need to bad mouth other breeds. I am an animal lover! My father owned and operated a boarding stable, so I gained experience with many breeds and types of horses. I barrel raced on quarter horses. I learned to ride American Saddlebreds and they were wonderful, but sometimes a lot of horse for a 14 year old. I have driven and ridden grade horses and other breeds, and  my experience has taught me that how a horse has been handled has a lot of bearing on how the horse behaves and what people think of the horse.

I was always told that Arabians were flighty and dangerous, so when I had the opportunity to purchase an Arabian mare, after several years of not having ridden, I was a bit hesitant because of hearsay. I purchased the mare and couldn't have asked for a better horse.  The one feature that stood out about her compared to other horses I had been around was the fact that she truly wanted to be with me. She would have come in my house if I had allowed it. She loved watching children play and was always very gentle with them. Other breeds seem to have a "take you or leave you" attitude. They may act like they are glad to see you, but generally it's because you have, or they think you have,  brought them something to eat. Arabians are very intelligent horses and if you don't know much about horses, or if you are flighty or boisterous yourself, they will respond likewise. They are inquisitive and quick. I now breed Egyptian-Arabians and my stud is very sweet. All the foals are people friendly and ready to learn.

I inherited a 3/4 Haflinger mare. While she can open gates and lean on fences until they fall down, I still love her. She is so smart.  Again, I have to say, if you don't know much about horses, she will bluff you into being afraid of her. She cannot be "forced" into doing anything she doesn't want to do. But, once she knows you can't be bluffed, she is a good horse. The method used in handling a horse is very important! Just because a person has owned and ridden a horse, does not make them a horseman. People have to be trained in how to handle horses. And, just like people have different learning styles, so do horses. Some horses may respond better to women than men, and vice-versa. Some horses may be quick to catch on and others may be slow. Once a horse has been taught one thing, it's easier to teach it another. Repetition is good, but too much of the same thing can be bad. There are a lot of things to consider before labeling a horse.

I agree that there are some Arabian's who are shown in halter classes that appear to be very flighty. Since the audience wants to see a lot of "flash," they are purposely excited before entering the show ring. In fact, I read a letter in a horse magazine once from a woman who was against Clinton Anderson's methods of desensitizing horses because the horses aren't as flashy in the show ring if they have been desensitized. That's not a horse fault, that's a person's preference. If a horse, any breed, is good or bad, it's mostly due to their handling and training. Bloodlines and temperament can only give a horse it's foundation for the human to work with, the rest is up to the handler. Before getting a horse, no matter the breed, I suggest you study the breed before purchasing the horse, or you might get a horse that doesn't fit your personality and/or preferences. When someone makes a blanket statement about a group - whether it's a people group or an animal group - it generally just spotlights their ignorance. It's okay to prefer one breed to another. We're all different and have different preferences. That's why there are so many choices. No matter what breed you own, be a responsible owner.

And, that's all I have to say about that!
  • Tumbleweed, you make some good points.

I have found that experience is the best teacher when training horses, and horses themselves are the best teachers. One does not have to be "educated" ( go to school) to train.  Arabians are very smart and in order to train one you have to be smarter than the horse.  You cannot "demand", you must learn how to "ask".   It is the so called "bad" horses that will teach you the most no matter what the breed. 
    Just because a person has a not so good experience with one horse of a certain breed, doesn't make all horses of that breed bad. 

I have trained and owned all breeds and all kinds in my lifetime.  I bred Arabians exclusively for 25 years, still own a few along with my foundation Quarter horses.  They are my still favorite riding horse.