Quick Post

Anyone want to talk Hackney Horses?

Anyone want to talk Hackney Horses?
  • Your Hackneys are gorgeous studeclunker. Many years ago, way back in the 1970's, our neighbor had Hackney ponies, I would ride my horse over to his place and he'd tell me about his ponies, it was so fun. I've always wanted a driving horse or pony.
  • Gosh Remali, you're in Wisconsin?  Not only do you have great driving locations in the summer, but you have Sleighing in the winter!  It doesn't get any better than that!!

By the by, thanks for the compliment on the girls.  They've been a life-long dream I'm still pinching myself over. 
  • Yes, I am in Wisconsin, I have to say I love it here, altho I do hate the subzero winters (we've been lucky this year tho, it's been oddly warmish). I used to know a lady who had a sleigh for her Arabian stallion. We have beautiful horse trails around the state, some not too far from where I live. Also, some driving competitions in the southwestern part of the state.
  • I used to see many Hackneys years back but now, only a handful. Are they not popular anymore?

• Oh dear, I didn't see this for... good gosh, eight months?  Sorry, MustangMom.  No, Hackneys aren't so popular anymore.   Part of it is that they are associated strictly with Driving.  In my own case, that's a good thing as Driving is what I do.  For the breed however, there's a problem with that as the driving community is too small to support the breed.  Another is the expense involved as Hackneys are a touch pricey.  The Breeders have a tendency to ask rather high prices even though there is not much demand.  Hence, they wonder why no foals can be sold.  

So rare they may be, but Hackneys are still around.

For Driving, Hackneys remain the premium horse.  There are several people here on the West Coast who have been riding their Hackneys in Dressage competitions and doing very well.  In fact, there is one lady, in the Santa Rosa area, who has won the Highpoint award twice for her boys from some large Dressage organization here in California.  There's another lady south of Santa Barbara who also has done well.  Then there's a few back east who have been doing well in Dressage as well.  With only seven hundred-fifty horses nation-wide, the numbers won't be very high.

We're out there.  Just not very many of us.