Quick Post

Westphalian warmbloods anybody???

Westphalian warmbloods anybody???
  • I am proud owner of a Westphalian warmblood gelding! I noticed that there aren't many people who know about that breed which is sad since they are just perfect horses to ride!

So I'm wondering if there's anyone on here who owns/leases a Westphalian or at least knows them?
    For those of you who do: how tall are the ones you know? (mine is 18+hh and I fear he's a bit out of norm ;) ) and what do you like/dislike about the breed?
  • I love the true warmblood breeds! 
    I'm not a big fan of "American Warmbloods" aka: cross breeds. (that oughta get me flamed)

The biggest horse I've ever ridden was 17.3.  That felt HUGE but it's really a great size for me!  He was a t'bred/appy cross! 
  • I've never had one but I've heard of and seen them at 3-Day events, dressage shows here in California.  Wonderful horses as you say. 

I have a Hanoverian/TB filly that I'm hoping will end up a really nice horse.  Right now she's almost 3, all knobby legs and about 16.2.

What do you do with your horse?

I have an 18 hd. gelding but he's a percheron cross.  I get "How's the weather up there?" comments !!!
  • Haha, danastark I get that comment often too ':)' From wannabe horsey persons I often hear if he's an anorexic shire horse ':D' cracks me up every time!

I ride english, mainly hunters, jumpers, dressage and eq but a trail every now and then is also necessary!
    I sometimes show but am not one that is on shows every weekend...

Aw, cool a filly! What do you do with your horses?

I'm glad someon appreciates westphalians after all ':)'

hunterseat- yeah, here in Germany it's all about warmbloods, there's practically a breed for every region ':P'

Before I've met my horse I have never ridden SO huge horses and it was really an extreme change but I really love it... only tacking up can be a challenge ':P'
  • Well, I used to 3 day event and do Pony Club when I was much younger, then had kids so kind of didn't do anything, but when my kids were old enough, got them into Pony Club so we're back into that and I actually spend a lot of time taking them around to their events but we do a lot of trail riding and we're taking dressage lessons to see if I can actually get my big guy to flex and bend some..... we'll see but at least he's a good boy who will try just about anything!  He really likes to jump cross country.  When we get the opportunity we do a little fox "Coyote" hunting.  My gelding is 6 and I took it really slow w/ him because he was growing so much and he's decided to grow again at 6 1/2!  The filly is still so knobby kneed and baby-looking that I don't know when we will start her under saddle.  We'll keep working on manners and ground work for now!

Any pictures of you guy?
  • That'd be his head xD

Can't upload the other picture seemingly ':(' 
  • I do have a link on youtube of when he was being a nice little (or rather big) horsey for little kids to "vault" on him.... 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFbkWUF3t78

any thoughts on him?
  • How sweet he is, just going around with a pleasant look on his face, like he knows he has to be careful with the little ones up there ':)'  Our Pony Club kids sometimes climb up on my guy and see how many of them they can fit!  Thanks for sharing.  He is beautiful!