Quick Post

Hanoverian vs. Oldenburg

Hanoverian vs. Oldenburg
  • I'm wondering if someone can help me understand, what is the difference between a Hanoverian and an Oldenburg.  The reason I ask is, my filly is Hanoverian (sire) and TB (mare) but I've noticed that some of her sire's foals are called Oldenburgs?  Thanks in advance if you can clarify this for me!
  • I'm curious too.  I get confused when it comes to all of those different warmblood breeds.
  • I was reading up on them - there's plenty out there.  The origins and uses were different from the start.  Oldenburgs were originally used as cart horses WAY back.  Hanoverians date back to the 1700's.  There's PLENTY of difference in their histories.  I'd like to hear from someone who knows them personally.
  • Okay, I think I got the answer.  You can cross register certain warmblood horses if they pass the inspection for that particular breed.  Hanoverian is supposed to be the most difficult while Oldenburg is easier.  North America has an Oldenburg registry so foals from registered Hanoverians by mares not registered/inspected can sometimes pass the Oldenburg registry.