Quick Post

Peruvian Paso

Peruvian Paso
  • Hi everyone. I'm new here, and fairly new to keeping horses. We have a Belgian gelding draft horse, and recently received a beautiful Peruvian Paso mare. I'm wanting to ride her, but am not sure about what kind of saddle to get. Peruvian saddles aren't cheap, even the used ones, so I'm wondering if a Western, English saddle would work. Anybody out there have any experience with Peruvians?
  • No, you don't need a specific Peruvian saddle.  Each horse's back is different and even if you get a "breed specific" saddle there is no guarantee that it will fit.  You will most likely be able to find a Western or English that will work - it may just take some time to find one that fits properly.

The best thing to do is either get a local knowledgeable horseperson to help you with saddle fit or research it online.  Then learn how to take wither traces and start there in your saddle search.  I have two haflingers who tend to be a hard-to-fit breed and ended up going treeless, but as a new horseowner I'm not sure if I would recommend that because treeless can be a bit tricky for mounting and you need decent balance in them.  Otherwise they are great for those hard-to-fit horses.

Good luck!
  • Thanks for the tip, Jungle cat. I have a Western saddle that fits my Belgian, and my butt, so I'll try that and see how it looks.
  • If you get English, try to get a strait skirt, not a forward/jumping seat.  You want the shoulders free so they can get that gait going.  Paso's are very cool horses!!  They seem like nervous little things when they move but they seem very managable.

I'm having a hard time picturing a saddle which fits a Belgium on a Paso. [':)']
  • Also be sure it is the correct width..... I think (correct me if I am wrong) Peruvians are fairly broad so may need a wide tree, especially if you are going to get an English saddle (and I would then suggest an all-purpose or dressage saddle like hunterseat suggested).  But western is fine too!

We're dying to see pics of your new Peruvian!!
  • Dang!  I'm not sure how to edit, so I'll have to add my comment here.

This is just some information, not meant to scare you or worry you by any means..... but I thought you should be aware that SOME (not all) Peruvians can develop DSLD, here is some more information on that....... Just good to know!  If you want to find out more about it, just do a Google search, there is a lot of info out there about it. 

http://www.foal2horse.com/index_007.html