Quick Post

Shedding out

Shedding out
  • I have a question for you donkey people.

I've had my donkey for a year and a half now, so we have gone through two springs together.  Both years he shed out a month or so later than my horses.  He seems perfectly healthy in all other ways - bright eyes, loves to run with the herd, good weight, no fever, etc. 

He is 7 or 8 years old.  Is this a normal donkey thing?  or is he missing something in his diet that the horses don't need?  Or is there a chance that this is something more serious like cushings?  Any thoughts?
  • LOL !  Welcome to the wacky world of donkeys. Yup they shed out later, Alot later. Which is probably why alot of the donkey people that ride and drive them tend to clip them in the spring. The younger ones tend to keep their hair longer than the older ones and the ones with Piotou breeding seem to slick out even later ( if at all) . I know our Emma , currently at age 4 still hasn't completely shed out. She has long ear frills so I suspect some Piotou back in there somewhere. My one year old jack is still hanging on to his coat too and he looks rather moth eaten at the moment. The now 3 year old is just now shedding the last of his long guard hairs where as the 6 and ups have just recently completed slicking off. The further North you live the longer they will hang on to that coat it seems also. 
  • yup! they take longer! Daisy still hasn't shed out all the way!
    here's a pic of her on 7.25.09

• Thank you!  I'm glad to hear that is normal for donkeys.