Quick Post

Sally update!

Sally update!
  • Been staying busy with Sally. Had some trouble trying to lunge her in the open and her running back into the barn to get away ;) Cute, but not good. So we are working in our super muddy roundpen. Amazingly, she has not slipped once in that mud, any of the horses my husband and I have would have slid and gone down working in that kind of footing. We are not pushing her hard, just sending and asking for her to keep her head turned in and hindquarters out, but she gets uppity at times and does some pretty fast trotting.....>< Plastic was a huge issue, too. So we got her over that with a few days, by tying plastic bags on the lunge whip. SHe is generally quite cautious about most new objects. Yesterday I sacked her out with the saddle pad, which started as a big issue but got small quickly. And then the pack saddle, which was not that big of a deal.
  • Sally looks great.  She looks so very big next to you.  Love the progress updates.
  • Sounds like she's doing great.  My big guy is very sure-footed unlike my warmblood filly who careens around too fast and goes down....... I think those big feet work in their favor ':)'  Thanks for updating us.
  • Saddle fitting today...... Peach's saddle won. It's a Dakota Walker saddle on a wide gaited horse tree.
  • she makes that pack saddle look tiny!!!
  • Yep, that sawbuck didn't fit her at all! We have a nice self-adjusting pack saddle but didn't want to put it on her for her first go at being saddled! ....>She just keeps coming along fine in her groundwork. My husband is much better at teaching her 'new' things, it takes me a few days to get the buttons right once he puts one on her. But I spend time with stuff he doesn't focus on as much, like getting her to drop her head, flex, and go on lead rope adventures with me (in which I incorporate all her movements (hindquarter yields, half-halts, forehand yields, back-ups, etc) as we navigate all the interesting things an old farm can provide.) ....>I'm pretty good with ground driving so that will be the next step, need to get her over to an arena for that where we are out of the mud and in a safe place should things go wrong! Mule love:
  • Sally has come along well with her training.... she is 'over' the foot thing (!). She ponies very well except she gets very tired, has not ever had to 'work' ! She is learning bitwork very quickly. My husband put the first ride under saddle on her yesterday. She did not react, was confused at first but I helped 'point' her with our groundwork cues while my husband gave her leg cues. She did very very well for a first time ever.
  • Your scenery is really something and she looks great with a pack on her!  She reminds me so much of my Cody only with smaller ears!