Quick Post

First unassisted ride with Daisy :)

First unassisted ride with Daisy :)
  • I attended a donkey clinic last weekend, so I've been out working with the girls with all my new knowledge lol. I saddled up Daisy in her new Aussie saddle & took her for a spin ( a slow one!! LOL) around the pasture!! its the first time I rode her without a helper, so she had no one to follow! lol she did well and tried really hard for me. we got stuck in some donkey flue a few times, but she did really well for her first time!

So here's some pics of us going for a ride, ( these are video stills so not the best quality!)

Heres some of her saddle
    I think it fits her way better than the paso saddle!!  I love all the dee rings & stuff!! LOL
     had something to to clip my treat bag too!! LOL
    gonna try to find a good barrel pad for her, that square pad is huge! but its the best pad
    I have right now.

• Wow!  You look great on her!  And she DOES look like she's trying very hard.  Such a good girl!  Was it you who did the wither tracing and sent it in - thus the Aussie?  The saddle looks very nice!  I love Australians! 
  • Yup! I sent in a wither tracing, they said she was VERY wide, not narrow like i had assumed from all my internet research. 
    Its a tad wide, but with a thick pad i think it fits her great. plus I like the idea of having a good thick pad on her too.

I got the down under synthetic endurance saddle, it's awesome!! its so stinking comfy!! felt right at home in it. on the english saddle I felt 'perched' on her, and I kinda hated the paso cuz i felt like she hated it & it was too narrow.

Ya i don't think  I look too bad on her!! LOL i always feel so huge, and I know if I gain any weight I can't really ride her. Of course not planning on doing much other than walking around - not gonna be making her truck me up & down hills or go for long distances - or lope lol
  • It's wonderful you got a saddle you're satisfied with.  Took a while, didn't it?  You're slim and you do look tall but not bad at all on her!  She's not very big but donkeys are strong, right?  Fancymules will have to get on here and weigh in on that.  (it's her 30th anniversary!)  Anyway, you make me want one of those saddles.  I love the security of my Australian but it's probably not an upper line model, the seat is REALLY hard and I wonder if it makes Zag's back sore.  I think it fits him but there's something about it.  I had a massage therapist check the fit when I got it.  I'm getting the *** collar together to use with it.  Maybe that will make a difference. 
  • Yup I'm 5' 8" and daisy is BARELY a large standard. Donkeys can carry 25% of their body weight, where as horses can carry 20%
    I'm right at her limit, she can carry me but  I just can't expect her to do crazy stuff. basically our rides would consist of walking for short periods of time on level ground. I figured if I ever took her on a trail ride I'd be walking half the time!! LOL but that doesn't really bother me at all. i need th exercise LOL

I got lucky with that saddle!! the seat is suprisingly cushy!! lol I didn't know it was covered in suede til i got it, it was pretty cool. I want to get composite stirrups for it, the brass ones are heavy!!
  • I might have some you can have off my foam saddle....  The flat endurance kind would be more comfy, though.  But these are probably lighter.
  • does she look gaited to you?